View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 3:25 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm coming up on being a forum member for 13 years. While I like to explore the whole SSP forum, it's fair to say that by far the greatest focus of mine has been in the MB/SK forum and its antecedents. I thought I'd mark the occasion by taking a look back at what has changed for the better and for the worse since I joined this place in the fall of 2001.
I wonder what we were talking about at that first forum 'meet' at Portage Place ... can't have been much but I recollect that it was all at a high level of earnestness. I think we would have been impressed with what has happened to downtown Winnipeg in the ensuing 12 years when it came to buildings but maybe not so much in terms of the feel of the streets, which can still be pretty empty and desperate compared to other Canadian cities. On the other hand, I do remember feeling like some sort of brave urban explorer in those days when I'd do my photo shoots in areas like the East Exchange ... not that way anymore.

One positive is a younger generation (younger than mine) that, thanks to greater travel opportunities and the Internet, is more aware of what is offered by larger cities and increasingly demands the same sort of thing at home.