View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I can't find anything about this... presumably they are building under the approved PD from 2012? That was about to expire, but there is a letter from last year in the PD file authorizing a one year extension until late July of this year.

So it's time for them to shit or get off the pot... I doubt Sigcho-Lopez will authorize further extensions unless the developer agrees to comply with the latest version of the ARO or even the unofficial 30% affordable standard for Pilsen developments.

i drive past this site every day and there is certainly no sign of activity there. The approved PD calls for a pretty crappy site plan with a parking-heavy midrise on the south half and a drive-thru bank on the north. Ugh. Even a strip mall with a convenience store would be vastly better than a bank, since it would actually provide amenities to the neighborhood... but there's no way anyone will approve a business that sells package liquor so close to the CHA housing and multiple schools.
I found some more info about the Flats project at 15th/Blue Island... the new development will indeed nix the drive-thru bank and replace it with some walkable 1-story corner retail and some private outdoor space (dog run, pool deck etc). The midrise itself will also include a retail space, and finally treat Blue Island like a legitimate commerical corridor. Since this is a FLATS development, there's a good chance they bring a Heritage Coffee into one of the retail spaces. The other retail space will have some dedicated parking in back as well, so IMO it stands a decent chance of getting a tenant.

Big urbanist win over the previous scheme, even if the height was downgraded from 12 to 7 stories. I'm glad, since I'm about to move in across the street and it's kind of a weird urban renewal no-mans-land right now....

Best part, this was filed as a minor change to the existing PD for the site, so there's no way for Sigcho to get his claws in it. I think with Lightfoot's new anti-prerogative measures, they might even be able to extend the PD again in 2020 without Sigcho's permission.