View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:08 AM

Dans un article sur (le déclin de) Barcelone dans le Financial Times aujourd'hui, y a quand même quelqu'un qui a réussi à placer un commentaire anti-Montréal.
Quote:
I spent a long time in Montreal at the peak of Quebec independence movement. The city went from the commercial centre of Canada to a backwards downtrodden city in the span of 2 decades. All the major businesses along and large parts of the population, including a big chunk of the Jewish community, just packed up and moved to Toronto.

In the 90s, Montreal was still a beautiful and wonderful city, but economically a shadow of its former self with limited employment opportunities. One issue is that back then the province was governed by a string of separatist governments that didn't care about the economy. The fought over stupid things like the overuse of apostrophes (I wish I were joking) instead of the betterment society. They saw prosperity as part of the problem, and malaise as a way to increase discontent. For them, economic decline increased the probability of meeting their independence objectives.

I actually support Quebecois culture, which is unique in North America, and the right to self-determination (even if I don't support outright separatism). But I don't support toxic independence movements that thrive on division and discontent. Montreal will never fully recover. I hope Barcelona gets its act together soon.
L'article en question (avec lequel je dois hélas dire que je suis d'accord, pour avoir visité Barcelone souvent ces dernières années) :
Quote:
How Barcelona lost its way

https://www.ft.com/content/18f0ca8c-...f-e99f71a046e8