View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:39 PM

Repeat after me everyone. Not all high density development needs to be in the city centre.

And either I hope y’all didn’t forget about the Blue Line because believe it or not university students can and will go DT. I was a student just last year living in the ghastly Waverley West and still went to DT a bunch with my homies because of how convenient the Blue Line is. I know professors who commute from Downtown to U of M. It’s also got the best pedestrian focused infrastructure in the city with the raised crossings, the ridiculous amount of multi-use paths, and of course the pedestrian mall at Curry Place.

We have suburbs that aren’t walkable and a development like this won’t only make the U of M more walkable, but by extension nearby neighborhoods like Waverley Heights, Montcalm, Fort Richmond, and Riel (once the Rapid Transit bridge to St. Vital is constructed) will become more walkable as well just from new amenities and public realm improvements. It also will help fill some of those massive surface lots occupying Pembina as seen by the rapid densification of the corridor.

Hell even living in Waverley West for a decade the Bison at Superstore + the amenities at U of M and the best AT infrastructure in the city made it pretty easy for me to not have to own a car tbh.

A lot of people in this forum (predominantly the inner city residents here go figure) remain skeptical but I am very optimistic about this project. It’s the textbook definition of transit oriented development.