View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Parking in greater center city is pretty horrible and I would say the congestion is just as bad. Everyone I talk to who lives and works in the city hates driving. Didn't they make some show about parking in Philadelphia?
I've never had problems driving in Philly. Parking seems to be very convenient and congestion is minimal for a metro of its size. I think this contributes to the fairly high car usage, considering the context. Philly is the second most urban U.S. city, but doesn't have the second highest transit share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
SEPTA regional rail is actually a good performer, it's highest in the nation after NYC and Chicago systems with a much smaller reach in track miles.
Philly has the fourth highest commuter rail ridership in the U.S., well behind Chicago and Boston (and obviously NYC). But it has arguably the best system, with the RER-S-Bahn layout and all-electric mode. But really, Philly has the sixth highest ridership, because DC and SF basically have hybrid regional rail systems. I believe Philly also trails Toronto too.

So, to me, Philly is an underperformer. It should have, at worst, the second or third highest ridership. There's no way in hell it should have lower ridership than Boston, which has a fragmented, 90% diesel system. Toronto has a joke of a system, all diesel, with booming ridership.