View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:22 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
What you're saying makes sense, but that's the northeast corridor you're referring to. It cuts across the city to 30th Street station then continues south to DC. Only 2 septa lines actually use that alignment. Amtrak owns it and I think there is some push to limit SEPTA's access so they can run more trains as part of the NEC master plan. The Roosevelt Blvd project I mentioned would run parallel to the NEC through NE Philly and then connect with the broad Street subway. I think that would accomplish some of what you suggested. Also, I've heard of a plan of connecting one of the 2 septa lines that use that alignment (Chestnut Hill West) to run along the broad Street subway as well, but not sure if that is just a rumour. The broad Street subway is 4 tracks and gets less usage than the market/Frankford El which is 2 tracks.

There is a pretty massive plan to develop around 30th Street station, so the current alignment would make more sense since that would be the destination for a lot of commuters. The east side of the city, along the Delaware, is more of a tourist destination with all the historical stuff. From broad Street to the Schuylkill river is the office center of the city.
Regional Rail is a woefully underutilized asset. SEPTA management and the unions are what keeps it from realizing its full potential.

There's never been an official proposal to take one of the Chestnut Hill lines and convert it into a subway line though I made a fantasy routing doing just that and posted it here a while ago. Such a plan would be sensible in some ways.