View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Wow, for someone from Toronto to be able to identify the location so quickly would already be unsettling, but for someone from Texas to be able to do it is even more surprising. Maybe I should try to make my photos less obvious.

I hope SSPers outside Toronto don't start to believe that there is major aversion to high-rise living and construction projects in Toronto. Look at the stats in the SSP database, look at that picture, you can see that the people of Toronto are not against high-rises, they are very much a major part of Toronto's culture and landscape. Toronto has been called "The North American Moscow", and I have shown you guys my childhood and the neighbourhoods where I grew up, including that pictured above, so you probably already know that obsession with SFHs is not the problem in Toronto.

"The North American Moscow" not only more properly describes Toronto, it also hints at opportunities, like retrofitting all those thousands of suburban towers-in-a-park in the Toronto area for additional housing and retail and more. If we just think of this as a simple problem with a simple solution, just a matter of demolishing all single-family houses to build multi-family housing, we will miss much bigger opportunities like that. Opportunities to build around and build upon what we already have, true organic growth, instead of just destroying what we have and replacing it with something else.

This map shows that 60% of the City of Toronto is covered in Yellow.
In those places you can ONLY build a single family detached house.
This is why the city is anti midrise and highrises even though most of the population lives in multi family housing.
This is the cause of our housing unaffordability.
You can only build mid and highrises in the red, brown and orange bits and because of that Toronto is now force to tear down 20 storey apartments buildings to fit in more density because the yellow belt can't be touched.

Last edited by Nite; Sep 21, 2021 at 10:25 AM.