View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:24 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
i had never heard of Duke's until i moved to Virginia back in 2007. i consider myself somewhat of a mayonnaise connoisseur, and Duke's is the best mayonnaise i've ever had. f*cking love Duke's.
The factory that makes Duke's says you're welcome! It's been fun to learn things about this city since I moved here a few months ago... I remember we drove back and forth by this factory as we were looking at various houses in the area and I thought it was kind of funny to find out what they made there.

For what it's worth, the Duke's Mayonnaise company was founded by a woman, Eugenia Duke, who started out selling sandwiches in 1917 to soldiers at a nearby National Guard camp during World War I. For the first several years of her company's existence she cranked out batches of mayonnaise at her home, to the point that she eventually had to build another kitchen on her property to keep up with demand. She lived on Manly Street in what is now the Pettigru Historic District next to downtown Greenville. I'm not sure which house she lived in, but a Google Streetview trip down Manly rather makes me think it's not one of the ones that survived, unfortunately.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947