View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 9:58 AM

I’m not talking about moving around like an army brat (through I also could not imagine living in one city for 20+ years), more of a seasonal thing. Winter in Miami, early fall and late spring in London/NYC, July and August somewhere nice (ideally Med). Certainly spending summers away from where you’re based the rest of the year. There’s no place on Earth where I can be happy year round (maybe LA but that’s too far from everywhere, and I don’t really like LA).

People need to stop worrying about how others tell them they have to do things. You don’t have to move to the suburbs and let kids dictate every aspect of your life for 20 years. Miserable, unhappy parents aren’t good for kids either.

But back to the thread subject - if there should be one lasting impact of this whole Covid shitshow, it should be a loosening of our ties to specific geographies for work, and there’s no reason this shouldn’t apply to kids as well. In fact what I have in mind is better than the “army brat” scenario because at least they’re in the same place seeing the same friends for the 4-5 months of the year that you’re in a particular place each year. It’s kind of like boarding school.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Nov 1, 2021 at 10:09 AM.