View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:54 AM

I have to say as someone who has flown in and out of Chicago from Berlin and other points in Europe for about a decade now I think Chicago does a pretty decent job, especially as the slow zones on the Blue Line have disappeared.

Compared to JFK in NYC, which is an expensive joke ($7.00 for a 10-minute AirTrain ride to the MTA?), or LA (let's not even bother) the CTA will take you to O'Hare OR Midway for $2.25.

In Berlin we don't even have rail service to Tegel (much less a modern airport but that's another story) and they stuck the Schönefeld airport S-Bahn station in Zone C so you get whacked with a higher ticket price.

It's not unusual for trains to Stansted or Gatwick to simply be cancelled and the London Tube is an expensive option to get to Heathrow.

Rome is a joke, Paris is pretty good and Amsterdam is a breeze but I'd say Chicago holds up pretty well to any European city of comparable size.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but last time I flew into O'Hare I was through the airport down to Helmut Jahn's fantastic gateway to the CTA and in the Loop in an impressively short period of time.

Added bonus of watching the Chicago skyline bear down on you as you head into the Loop.