View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Nowadays, with MSG being the oldest NBA (and NHL) arena, it's looked at in much the same vein as Fenway & Wrigley Parks for MLB, & Lambeau Field for the NFL. It may have been a horrible mistake back in 1964 to tear down the old Pennsylvania station, but the MSG arena is culturally, and essentially a major site in NY.

From the Knicks two NBA championships, to the Rangers 1994 championship braking the 54-year curse, to the many boxing fights that took place at MSG, to many concerts, NYC sees less of a reason to tear down MSG and build over it, even though a $1B 10-year arena built in 2012 sits in Bklyn, the MSG is a much more significant arena than the Barclays Center, plus it went through extensive renovations from 2010 to 2013, so even though it looks old fashioned on the outside, it's essentially a brand new arena.
MSG is awesome. The bars are packed with people buzzing with excitement. The views are still awesome and intimate, the ceiling is really unique for an arena too. I know it's had a lot of renovations but it's insane to think it was built when the Spectrum was. I think the arena/stadium arms race is slowing down a little bit too. I would think the newest batches of stadiums (Chase Center, Fiserv Forum, Little Caesars Arena, etc) will last at least 40-50 years because there's less possible improvements to make. I'd say the same with football. When you look at the Rams, Vikings and Falcons stadiums, it's hard to see anything that would super outdated in 25 years. But look at the Vet or Spectrum after 25 years, they were totally inadequate.