View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp198 View Post
I'm a native Miamian, but I think it is disingenuous to suggest that hurricanes are "no big deal" in FL. Each storm inflicts infrastructure crushing damage, totaling billions of dollars that the federal government must kick in each year.

Ian isn't just a storm -- we are looking an extreme devastation across SW FL. One of these storms could very well be the death knell. While western states can "earthquake proof" their infrastructure, FL cannot. Inland cities like Orlando are also facing extreme conditions in the coming hours.

As someone who is deeply invested in the future sustainability of FL, I think that these are important conversations to have.

EDIT: They're estimating fatalities in Fort Myers could reach into the hundreds.
I really hope this is a misquote. Or the estimates are way off.

Typically I would expect 50-100 deaths from a hurricane like this. The worst Florida hurricanes had hundreds, sometimes over a thousand deaths.

Quote:
President Biden At FEMA HQ - “This could be the deadliest hurricane in Florida's history,” says the numbers are unclear but early reports indicate "substantial loss of life".
https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/...8eCHx-1s1uk0zQ