View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Yeah, I've only ever heard that the stings are extremely painful but not fatal.

This thread kind of makes it seem like Arizona is Australia, where the local flora and fauna is always trying to kill you...except that most of Arizona's fauna just want to be left alone
The native fauna in Australia mostly wants to be left alone, especially the snakes. No one has died of a spider bite since the late 70's and the number of snake bite related fatalities is thirtysome since 2000. I usually sleep on the deck at night and have never encountered anything dangerous. I have found snakes in the yard as we have a large orchard and vegetable garden. They have always been coiled up in the shade, so it is easy to slowly back away. Jellyfish are the biggest risk in Australia but they are mostly in the NT and North Queensland. I've been stung many times by blue bottles - moderately painful but it a big deal.

I was bitten by a recluse spider in the US. It didn't hurt, but swelled up to a tennis ball sized welt and left a scar.

I saw a guy in Arizona successfully pick up a diamondhead and kill it with an are. My neighbor in Perth grew up on a ranch and is skilled at snake removal using nothing more than a shovel.