View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 3:43 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
I'm surprised you think that. . . most of the other office buildings that have gone up in the last 10 years don't really offer much in the way of excellent design. . . but seem rather banal with odd engineering flourishes that set them apart from other simple boxes. . .

This building is austere in the details, it's vertical expression and proportions on the site make it easy to look at. . . I don't see any dissonance when I'm looking at this building compared to every other office building done in the last 10 years. . .

. . .
I gotta agree. I understand the disappointment in that it underwhelms a bit in height and design, but I think it ranks rather solidly compared to its city peers of the last 15 years in the same neighborhood, with 150 Riverside being the standout outlier in the Wacker/River corridor.

I think it is also clearly superior to WPE, thankfully, given its stature as the larger of the two towers. I can't see how one can find much wrong with the cascading lobby of WPS that I think was well executed. The massing and setbacks are well proportioned, just a bit undersized given its prominence. The crown has turned out better than I expected it would.

I just can't get on board with those that think WPE is somehow superior to WPS. WPE has some slight PoMo vibes or something that throws it off to me. I find it more banal than WPS and more appropriate for some generic sunbelt city.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Nov 7, 2022 at 6:14 PM.