View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan de California View Post
I would LOVE to see this exact design and height somewhere out in the Great Plains. Put this thing in Des Moines!
I bet.

Quote:
I do understand the disappointment that this tower doesn't have a more interesting design for the New York skyline, but personally, the more I see of it as it nears completion, the more I genuinely like it. Especially those Golden Hour shots, of course, but even just appreciating the details and massing from different angles, the building is really growing on me.
I don't doubt it. It's still the wrong building in the wrong place. But I'm not convinced this will be the tallest in midtown. It reminds me of when 432 Park went up, and people complained about it because it was so tall. Seems like quaint times now. Put up one or two taller and better designed towers on the skyline, and this building is an afterthought. Still doesn't take away from this design being what it is though, no way around it. I'm not gonna lie because it's the tallest on the skyline. It could be 2,000 ft, and the verdict would be the same. I love height. 53w53 should have been given every inch of it's design. An amazing design, but it still would have fell 300 ft shorter than this one. Of course, I will defend Barnett's right to build this tower as is. But that doesn't mean he gets a pass on criticism. Just like that building Downtown, with the enormous spire and symbolism.

Anyway, it was interesting watching it rise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF2oBjOHSAc/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.