View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:16 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

OK, I saw the message from i-am-hydrogen so here goes.

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?

I've been using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi for nearly four years now. I had a Promaster 70-300 f3.5-5.6 but it had an unfortunate turn with a staircase last year so I've been using the 18-55 kit ever since. I'm saving for the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 right now. I'd like to be on the 5D level but that ain't happening any year soon. I don't think too much about the kind of equipment that I'd like to be working with because getting it in a reasonable timeframe isn't realistic for me right now.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

This is one that's near to my heart.

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

It was a photo that giovanni sasso took near where I worked years ago that first inspried me to post my own on SSP. On this forum he was certainly my biggest inspiration and I'm grateful for the time he took to help me in all manner of things. A super human indeed.

There are some folks who's threads get automatic views from me when I'm around. Flash, sabotai, Sekkle, diskojoe and i_am_hydrogen make the cut just off the top of my head. I have to say Serge's Philly thread from a few years ago still hangs in my mind as probably the best one ever so I have to mention him just for that.

Outside of the forum, I've always been a fan of Ezra Stoller. The wonderful symmetry and balance, the stark linear quality in his work really hits me. Good linear quality is one of the few things that I consciously strive to achieve in every photo that I take and the photos I come across in the day to day that catch my eye the fastest have that.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?

I've never been to the West Coast so that's tops on the list. Big sky country in the southwest, Madrid, Paris and Montreal also rank highly. The next place I'm looking to knock off the list is Toronto - I mean, it's time already.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

The photothreads from the first year or so that I had the Canon were pretty well received. I also seem to recall that the 'Electronic Go Go' nighttime thread I did several years ago was pretty popular.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

It seems like fewer people care for the New York threads that I put together than the Philadelphia ones but it seems that my mood comes through in my work. Photothreads that I feel really good about personally seem to do better response-wise than do threads I put together when, for instance, I say to myself 'I haven't posted one in a while'.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

Walk the streets of your city! Move about, take a risk, try a new place sometimes. One would be amazed at how much they don't know exists on the streets of their city or town that's worth seeing and/or sharing. And from a technical standpoint, learn how to use light. Carry your camera all the time and play with it under all kinds of conditions. Get comfy with it, learn its limitations and shoot at any interesting opportunity you get.

Who should we ask these questions of next?

KCGridlock, please!