View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^The swivel screen is perfect for hidden/less invasive photography.

I used to take a lot of people shots. Back in Taiwan it's considered good fortune to have someone take your picture. This lead to some of my favourite portrait shots. Once I moved to Shanghai, my people photos dropped drastically. There are three reasons for this; Shanghainese hate their photo getting taken, Shanghai is full of poor people who think you're exploiting them and the Muslim factor.

I got hit for taking this photo in Shanghai. The woman's husband came out of his shop and smacked me on the back. At first I thought he was some senile, old Xinjiang man that didn't know his own strength. I soon realized that this guy was super pissed at me for taking a picture of his wife. He then cursed me out and tried to grab my camera. At that point, I had to physical push him back (not happy about man-handling a 70 year old man) and tell him to back away. I think he understood that I was pretty close to dropping him.

Afterwards, when I looked at the picture, I didn't really feel like I did anything wrong. I was half a block away, using an 85mm lens. She just happened to be sitting outside in public along the street.