View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 1:18 PM
3rd Coast King

Response from:

Surrealplaces

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?

I used a Canon S2IS for a few years, and as a point and shoot camera it served me well, but last year I decided it was time to improve my photos and get a DSLR. I now shoot with a Nikon D5000, and I’m really enjoying it. I mainly use three lenses; 18-105mm VR, 35mm, 55-200VR, 70-300mm sigma. I’d love to have a wide angle fish eye lens, and it would be nice to have a macro lens. I’d like to do some super close-up shots.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

My style tends to be alot of landscape or cityscape shots, often stitching multiple shots into panos. Another description of my style could be one of post-processed photos. Coming from a background in programs such as Bryce, and 3D Studio max, I can’t help but play around and tweak photos….sometimes making them into something quite different from the original.

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

My influences have come from two areas. 1) digital media such as 3D art is something I’ve been involved in for a while. 2) Other photographers on Flickr or here at SSP. Forum member, Witty Nickname has influenced my work, and has helped my improve at taking photos. The post processing side of my photos would definitely be influenced by past work in digital art.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?

I’d love to photograph India, or parts of South America. I’ve been to New York before, but would love to take another crack at photographing it.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

My most popular photothreads are often ones from Calgary, as we have a lot of Calgarian and Canadian forum members. My European city ones have been popular also.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

I think most of my threads got the response I expected. I had a photothread of Santorini that didn’t get as much response as others, even though those pics are by far my most popular photos on Flickr. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised though, Santorini, is beautiful, but has no skyscrapers ;-)

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

If I could offer any advice, it would be these tips. Don’t be afraid to take lots of photos. If you take a dozen shots of the same subject…each one slightly different, you will often produce one that stands out from the rest. Don’t be afraid to shoot anything. Some of my favorite photos are ones I didn’t expect to be very good. Last, but not least, always have your camera. I need to follow that rule more often.

Who should we ask these questions of next?

Bulliver would be a good photographer to question. If not try Jimby.

Cheers, Kevin

My Book