View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Honestly, Chicago's biggest problem is it's location. The city itself is perfectly fine and justifies a visit, but there isn't really much else in proximity. The NE corridor has tons of big cities and quaint seaside towns in close proximity. Miami gets the snowbirds and has the keys and the beaches nearby. SF and LA have the allure of being in CA. The NW have 3 interesting cities and the scenic beauty interspersed.

Chicago has Lake Michigan, which is amazingly to see in person. But, there aren't really any close by lakeside destinations to combine it with. Northern MI is worth a visit, but is many hours car drive from Chicago. Milwaukee, Indianapolis and St. Louis are all fine, but nothing special. In an ideal world, Mackinaw and Traverse City would be just across the lake from Chicago and could be connected via a lakeside train or ferry system.

I really don't know what can be done about that?

I agree trying to attract a diverse mix of middle and high skilled immigrants would be a huge plus. Toronto's cosmopolitan feel is a key piece of its attraction. Again this is easier said than done, especially since Chicago can't impose Canadian style immigration laws.
I completely disagree with this. In lieu of potentially starting a city vs city thing I'll just say I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.