View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Here is the link to Berger's proposal for the lot at N Queen and W Chestnut in Lancaster as well. I have not heard any news about this project since it was first announced in August. If both this proposal and the Mosaic are built, it would really transform downtown Lancaster.
Wow, this would be nice too. Getting rid of that surface lot would be so nice and help bring more residents downtown.

Quote:
Did you endure the grinding commute on 283 or take the train? A former coworker of mine, when I worked in downtown Lancaster, left to take a job working for a nonprofit in downtown Harrisburg. He lived in Lancaster city and would walk a few blocks to the train station, hop on Amtrak to Harrisburg and then walk a few blocks to his office. It has made me wonder how many people were using Amtrak between Harrisburg and Lancaster before Covid as a defacto commuter rail service.
Unfortunately, my commute was on 283. I was late to work many times due to crashes causing major backlogs. The worst was when the sun was at the perfect height that it would be directly in driver's eyes for large lengths of 283. It wouldn't be uncommon to see multiple crashes on the way to work on days like that..

But I have heard of people taking the train between Harrisburg and Lancaster. I even worked with someone who would commute from outside of Philly into Lancaster City every day on the train.

Quote:
I now work for one of the museums outside Lancaster so I miss seeing all of the projects going on in the city. Although, I do not miss driving through the city when it snows! Lancaster city is terrible at snow removal. Currently, my one coworker commutes from Hummelstown and she has many horror stories of commuting on 283 during bad weather or getting caught in the backlog from an accident. Just makes me wish Corridor One was not thrown into the trash heap of failed rail transit projects.
I don't miss driving in Lancaster at all because of how bad of shape the roads are in. Especially S. Prince, it feels like you're off-roading it's so bad. It really is a shame Amtrak isn't a more viable option for commuting between Harrisburg and Lancaster. It could really make our region even more connected than it is now.