View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The lower levels would make terrible office space. The size of the floorplate is not what matters for office, it is the dimensions of the floor and column spacing. Floors this rectangular would be almost impossible to make work from an exiting standpoint for office space. Office spaces are required to have two exits that are further apart than the furthest corner of the space from an exit. On a floor this long and narrow that would be nearly impossible to do for most spaces smaller than a full floor. That's why most office buildings are much more "square" than the long, thin, narrow hotel and residential buildings we see going up. That's also why big blocky buildings like 600 W Chicago, Merch Mart, Fulton Market, and now Post Office are attracting big office tenants. Their massive blocky floorplates are ultra efficient, narrow floor plates are very inefficient and require a much higher loss factor.
I see, thanks for sharing. One thing about the east loop that I hate is how dead that area is. Despite having so many high rises, theres so few people walking around. A hotel and retail would make the east loop more pedestrian friendly, but I think having some office space would also help. When I mentioned about having office space in 375 E wacker I was thinking about how Roosevelt & Michigan dev is consider 300g of office space in addition to the apts.