View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:05 AM

On a side note, we've really made some progress on cycling the last couple years, but there's some serious gaps in otherwise great routes.

My #1 priority for next year would be to improve cycling on Wellington Crescent. It already is one of the busiest bike routes in the city, and would be even busier with proper infra. It is billed as a great street for that, but from Grosvenor > east can be treacherous. The street design affords for people to often travel at 60–70 km/h. It's also an amenity enjoyed not just by area residents, but much of the city, as it's the main connector to Assiniboine Park and the Zoo from the north and east.

I think from Lindsay to Guelph the centre gravel path should be widened and paved.

Then it hooks north to a 2-way cycle track using the north lane (current WB curb lane), as it's really not needed. Only one WB lane can go straight across Academy, so it doesn't need the second lane. Allow parking on the EB curb lane, excluding 7–9 am.

There's plenty of room to continue this 2-lane track from Academy to Grosvenor, and can just shift the street a bit if needed, even though it's already fairly wide.

The more "challenging" part would be from Grosvenor to Stradbrook, but I don't think it'd be that tough to at the very least make room for 1-way lanes on either side – whether on the street or raised near the sidewalk (possibly winding at some points around trees).

Stradbrook from Wellington to Osborne is also a challenge, but from Osborne to Donald there is TONS of extra room for a full bike lane. The city definitely needs to make the connection to the RT AT path at Donald more clear to cyclists as well as drivers though. Often drivers are blocking the curb cut as it's such a busy RTOR.