View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 9:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I assume that would replace the parking garage? Where would they put the 600 spot replacement? Maybe at Jefferson/Vanburen?
I read the article as a 500-space new parking garage in the Fulton Market area, not the Union Station area. It would provide parking for the various new office developments over there. Looks like not everyone wants to take the Green/Pink Lines or a shuttle to Metra. Anecdotally, it sounds like existing Fulton Market tenants like Google, SRAM, etc are frustrated, and potential tenants concerned, about a parking shortage in the area.

Separate from that, the Amtrak garage does need to be replaced by the master developer, but I imagine it would be integrated in the base of the new tower or ideally underground and combined with a pedway expansion. Amtrak needs parking for its own fleet of vehicles and they probably believe some parking is necessary for travelers, but they might accept something less than a 1:1 replacement of the lost spaces. The existing garage is almost never full...