View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I swear to God you don't need any phd / degree of any higher education to make money.

The wife of the baker I usually buy my croissants from takes her her kids to school in a Porsche Panamera that's worth $100k.

These people have no higher education degree. If I talked to them about math, they would feel lost, then I just don't and simply buy fresh croissants and bread from them.

I have respect for them because they get up at 4am every morning to make their fresh bread and feed us.
They work hard and deserve the money they make.

Who makes more? Plumbers or professors? The gap is really quite narrow. Meanwhile the professor (I am one) had to spend upwards of a dozen years pursing undergraduate, master's and then PhD degrees (and often, a stint or three doing a post-doc), so those potential income-earning years (the prime of one's life) are financially, very lean. There are fewer and fewer tenure-track positions in Academia (the only positions that pay decent salaries) and many in Academia now work by cobbling together potentially unrenewable contracts, often from multiple institutions. Plus, when you finally graduate, you have a wall of student debt yet you are in your thirties, when it is time to marry, start a family, etc.