View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Blue Island branch (of MED) is already electrified. Do you mean the Rock Island?

Either way, I don’t see a reason to buy electric locos. It’s not like Metra has a huge fleet of brand new railcars, they’re old and creaky. Also, the RID doesn’t have any tunnel segments, the only reason to electrify is for better performance (acceleration) and electric locos offer a tiny fraction of the advantage afforded by EMUs.

Of course, I can’t think of a ready source for cheap, low-floor, FRA-compliant EMUs.... but if Metra wants to electrify Rock Island, they should plan their rolling stock purchases around the eventual goal of a new EMU fleet for Rock Island. Seems tailor-made for Stadler, especially if their Caltrain EMUs are well-received.
Yes, the Rock Island.

Buying new EMUs will take several years. I’d be more interested in turning up electrified rapid service as quickly as possible. Presuming Caltrain’s Stadler order works out that would be ideal but I think I’d wait until they start running them to throw that cash down.