View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 6:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I thought the Cubs patronizing campaign slogans ("its a way of life" etc.) were embarrassing but they truly have a Disneyesque approach that is intent on making the immediate neighborhood there little kitschy kingdom. Putting up a sign that says "Welcome to Wrigleyville" takes the cake in treating fans and neighbors as nothing other then contemptible custies.

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4462429.story

......The team also plans to construct a pedestrian bridge over Clark Street without having to purchase air rights from the city. The bridge would have a "Welcome to Wrigleyville" sign.......

The Cubs released additional details about signage in their proposal to the city:

-- It plans an LED "ribbon board" along the upper deck grandstand, a new fan deck in left field and a new signs on the wall in right field and behind home plate.

-- Also planned are signs on the new two-story Captain Morgan Club on Addison Street

-- And 35,000 square feet of advertising outside the ballpark between the hotel, outdoor plaza and Captain Morgan Club.

The rooftop owners on Monday again rattled a legal saber, saying the “owners reserve the right to use any and all means necessary to enforce the remaining 11 years of our 20-year contract.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
First of all how many hotel guests are going to have reasons to be using the bridge to go to Cub front offices ? Hardly any. This structure is primarily for the benefit of Cub executives and office workers to use the bridge to go to lunch, work out, and run to conferences in the hotel with out having to walk outside and endure the weather, street rif raf and the other harsh realities of urban living they supposedly embrace and want to preserve.
Actually I think it is indeed going to be used more as a selling point for higher end hotel visitors. At first glance it will offer a very sanitized, conveinat, self-contained, and provide an air of exclusivity to the epxerience. Though I can't relate for some out of towners in particular that "Wrigley experience" may have actually appeal I would guess goes the thinking. "You will be able to roll out of bed, cross a hallway, and climb into your seat at the park without even having to go through the hordes of fans and streets of Chicago! How utterly convenient".

I actually don't figure the Cubs executives or workers care that much about connected right at the hotel. If it was a bridge from the Triangle Building (Cubs offices) into the ballpark then I think there would be some of that.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Apr 16, 2013 at 2:05 AM.