View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 5:02 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
For me, Wrigley has always been one of the unique American experiences. It was something Chicago had one-up on NYC. It's honestly something I've almost lost complete interest in these past few years. Not that it matters as the Cubs will reap rather large financial rewards by doing whatever is in their best interests.
I feel similar.

One need not be a fan of the Cubs or even of baseball to want the renovation to be done thoughtfully. Not so much for the benefit of either the Cubs or their fans as for the city at large. It would be a rather short sighted to see this reconstruction as an iusse limited to just the club and its fans.

Just as one need not care for boats or water in wanting to see Navy Pier redone right one need not be a Cubs fan to want to see Wrigley touched up well. Open up almost travel book on Chicago and one of the first things listed to do is to "take in a day game at Wrigley". It is still I believe the second or third most visited tourist site in our state. Outside of downtown it is probably the most visited part of the city by suburban, regional, and national visitors. It is important to do right and not cut off the nose despite its face. There should be more public discussion about what makes Wrigley special to those that do venture to Wrigley both locally and from outside. I would argue the outfield sweep, bleachers, and vistas are the highest on that list.

I really feel that the Ricketts are being extremely short sighted and consider their plans perilously close to defacing Wrigley's best assets and lessening its appeal. All the while making very minimal if any improvements to aspects of the parks that could use the real overhaul. And Rahm doesn't seem to have any intent of directing a more thoughtful reconstruction. To him its just a headline grabbing win if the Cubs pick up the full tab no matter what the end result. And Tunney cares but for seemingly all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Apr 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM.