View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

The second scene is not Gilmore Field which, like Wrigley Field was a minor league park and seated over 12,000. Also, Gilmore was built in 1938. This looks like more of a park setting but I have no idea where. Like you say, the fields and buildings in the background should help with the location.
Also interesting about Babe Ruth are the rumors that he may have been part African- American. It seems like it will never be proven nor ruled out. If it was the case, he would have had very good reason not to disclose it because it would have denied him the opportunity to play in the segregated Major Leagues of his time.
All the biographies I have read of Ruth (I've read many) said that Ruth's parents on both sides had German ancestry. Ruth himself said he thought he had some Irish ancestry also, but that was never verified. Ruth tanned deeply in summer and had some features that racist players on other teams used to heckle him with racial slurs. When Ruth played, these were very racist times, and even mixed race people tragically were not allowed to play in the big leagues until Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers in 1947. If he actually had some African American ancestry the opposing teams would have prevented Ruth from playing.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 2, 2021 at 8:22 AM.