View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I mean, this fits with me seeing more California license plates in Texas than any other out of state plates. It's a numbers game, and Houston has an edge.
How many out of state license plates you see is a function of many things including the cost differential of registering a car in the different states. Not everybody obeys laws about reregistering cars if you move to a new location if it costs more. And some people are just too lazy to bother doing it--after all, how likely are they to get caught?

As for people moving from CA to Houston, they better get ready for major acclimation issues. Coming from the west coast or the southwest, anywhere along the Gulf coast or southeast feels like a steam bath. Even the 80s feels miserable until you get used to it and that takes months (I grew up in the east and southeast and even I am miserable if I go back there anytime but winter).

I know--there's air conditioning. But actually not in many places north of LA (and even LA itself if you are near the water). Many homes in SF don't even have central heat. My condo doesn't--we have built-in electric baseboard heaters which I almost never turn on and no A/C. That shocked me when I moved from Florida 40 years ago but not any more--artificial climate control just isn't necessary on the west coast and realizing how critical it is in Houston may come as a surprise.