View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 4:15 AM

LOUD NOISES!

Ok,

True, all MSA's are getting traffic from the extended area, the argument is that Salt Lake's extended area outside of its MSA is relatively large, percentage wise, in regards to commuting. Larger than most others. Though the CSA is 1.7million right now, Utah County isn't included in that, and it's the same approximate distance away from Salt Lake as the metro included in the current CSA. In fact, Utah County is adjacent to Salt Lake County. On top of that, I know many people who make that commute - it's very common. Including Utah County in the CSA is just inevitable in the future (perhaps this census). That will give the CSA around 2.3million and would place it 21st between Cincinnati and Charlotte when comparing CSAs.

Now I'm not just saying this because I live in the area, as I like many different areas, but I have to give credit where credit is due: Salt Lake is pretty well ahead of the curve in regards to transportation when considering its size. To have 6 light-rail lines and 80 miles of commuter rail (by 2012) with an MSA a little over a million is really impressive. There's already numerous street cars being planned after that.

Anyway, here's some actual news:

Salt Lake leaders unveiling major projects for bike transportation

By Aaron Falk

Deseret News
Published: Monday, April 5, 2010 3:02 p.m. MDT

SALT LAKE CITY

"Completing cycling-oriented projects in line with our vision for a highly bikeable capital city is a priority," Becker said. "Increasing the options for alternative transportation has always been a focus. … Even in these tough economic times, we remain committed to increasing awareness of bicycle/motorist safety while also completing funded projects in Salt Lake City to promote biking as a safe and desirable transportation alternative."

City officials promise a busy summer for bicycle projects.

A bicycle transit center will open at Salt Lake Central Station, providing storage space for 80 commuters' bicycles.

The northern section of the Jordan River Trail, which will connect Salt Lake and Davis counties, almost has been designed and should be completed in 2010.

After adding 38 miles of new bike lanes last year, city officials hope to add to that number. The city has funding for green lane markings and dedicated bike lanes downtown, including stretches of Main and North Temple.

"Whenever a street is being repaved, we're using that as an opportunity to add bike lanes," said Becka Roolf, the city's bicycle-pedestrian coordinator.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...l?s_cid=rss-30

Salt Lake Transportation

www.UtahProjects.info