View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
sorry to hear about your dad's bout with it.
Thanks. Knock on wood, he's much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Ticks terrify the hell out of me, but despite growing up in Connecticut, I never got bit. I'm pretty damn hairy, so I don't know any realistic way I would even see a tick until I actually got the ring rash or something.

Pittsburgh is actually pretty analogous to Boston in a lot of ways.

1. Both metros developed a sort of polycentric model pretty early on, with lots of poorer mill towns located outside the urban core. The urban core white flight in both cases was not incredibly acute either. Hence the cities are closer to a representative slice of the metro as a whole rather than being somewhere that poverty was deeply concentrated.

2. Both cities have a very high proportion of college/grad students when compared to the total city population, which leads to very student-dominated areas - even outright "student slums." If anything the dynamic is stronger in Pittsburgh proportionately, because there are really no notable universities in the suburbs, and even few notable ones in the exurbs until you get quite far out.

3. Both cities still retain notable vestiges of unique working-class white urban culture, though obviously it's becoming scarcer in Boston due to more gentrification/immigration.
4. Both metros have annoying sports fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
All this being true . . . I'd go with Pittsburgh too. Unless you really love the coast, which I understand well.
Pittsburgh is a great city.