Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:11 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 62-96 Woodhaven Blvd | 73 FT | 7 FLOORS

Former Rego Park eatery faces demolition
Home of the former Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant to become apartments

April 19, 2014 09:00AM

62-96 Woodhaven Blvd. in Queens

Quote:
Shortly after a famous Rego Park eatery shuttered its doors, a developer has made plans to tear down part of the building it occupied.

The Astoria-based Criterion Group plans to tear down the northern half of 62-96 Woodhaven Blvd., home of the recently closed Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant, to build apartments.

The destruction of part of the building would make way for a proposed seven-story, 114-unit apartment building, according to documents filed with and approved by the Department of Buildings.

Eric Benaim, CEO of Modern Spaces NYC, the firm in charge of marketing for the planned apartment building, said that they were “still in the early stages” on the planned demolition and constuction.

John Abbracciamento, the owner of both the closed restaurant and building it partially occupied, said he was unsure of what would become of the site.

Some of the shop owners who maintain businesses in the building say they had no knowledge of the structure’s potential demolition.

Ilana Shilim and her daughter, Kathy, owners of a dog grooming business at nearby 62-78 Woodhaven Blvd., said they will be moving their business a few blocks down the street to 61-29 Woodhaven Blvd. because of the uncertainty surrounding the building’s future.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~