View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcranialnerve View Post
Someone suggested moving the headquarters to Chicago. It seemed as if you were trying to bolster the perception of Providence in response to that. I merely provided reasoning that backed the moving proposal. I think comparatively there are major advantages to be had by moving the hq to Chicago. Maybe i'm a bit cynical, but the fact people have 'hearts' in Providence may not be enough. Several huge companies have moved here, and for them its about the quality of business AND quality of life. A lot of people at the bank may have gone to school at 50 different colleges for all i know, not just Brown and *ahem* RISD (banking?). These cats have shareholders to answer to and 'heart' and alma mater don't cut it with a lot of those scallywags.
Moving a headquarters costs alot of money, too (speaking of answering to shareholders). I mean things like quality of life and talent pool are key factors in long term profitability in a location, but alex1 was simply pointing out that Providence isn't a bad location in either of these regards.

I mean in any merger, the acquiring firm would assess the combined employment and physical asset situation and the decision would probably make itself, no politics/preferences required.