View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:57 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I would really like to know where all this lumber is coming from. I just read a very depressing article in The Economist regarding Death of the Amazon, as deforestation has taken off again under the new President. I hope this lumber isn't coming from the Amazon.
Yea, I don't think that Canada, which has the second largest amount of forest in the world (after Russia) and is the world's second largest exporter of forestry products, is promoting wood frame buildings as a way to encourage the use of wood from Brazil. Keep in mind that the problem of deforestation in Brazil isn't driven by a desire for a forestry industry which generally sees land harvested and continually re-planted, but rather a desire to clear the land for other uses such as farming and cattle grazing.