View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnian1 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this tower's design and/or height change (I would assume they won't try to make it shorter if they want to have the tallest roof in the hemisphere, so I would consider 1551' to be the minimum height if approvals go well). The rendering looks very rough, and the cladding isn't detailed.
It's very possible that the height could change, as well as some design features. The good news is that they've been very cooperative with potential critics of the design.

Quote:
Mr. Macklowe is asking for special permits, zoning changes and approvals to build a tower in East Midtown that is 66 percent bigger than would be allowed under the current zoning.

...In the hope of gaining city approval, Mr. Macklowe and his team — Dan Shannon of Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects and Gensler, a second architecture firm — shoehorned their tower onto the site in an attempt to mitigate its impact on the surroundings. They have also held preliminary meetings with the city’s Planning Department, the Landmarks Preservation Commission and with members of the local community board with the hope of quelling potential opposition.
Quote:
While the tower's height seems certain to trigger backlash from some development watchdogs, at least one appeared amenable to the design - a potentially encouraging initial sign for a project that must pass through a public review. An executive at the Municipal Art Society, which is based in the Look Building directly next door to the planned skyscraper, said that the construction of such spires were exactly what the 2017 rezoning of East Midtown was meant to spur.

"MAS is not anti-development and not against tall buildings," said Tara Kelly, a vice president at the organization, who said Macklowe plans to give the group a more detailed presentation on the planned tower next week. "At first blush, this tower makes sense."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.