View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Like I said, and I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this will have more than a few token pieces of curved glass, if that. Why? Because one, I don't think it's called out as such, and since curved glass is such a big deal, I think the architects and developer would be making a point of mentioning it. And two, just a couple years ago I was reading a trade rag and it was mentioned that the cost of curved insulated glass panels was 10 times the cost of flat panels and that was at the factory. I took that to mean that shipping and installation costs would also be higher. And lets face it, in general, better design/more costly design (the two things are different!) especially on the exterior, doesn't bring higher rents or larger selling prices here in Philly.

I expect at best the metal horizontal bands might be true curves with a number of flat panels butted up against each other with some hope that it will look sortof curved. Like how flat bricks can be used in a curved wall. On gentle curves they are fine, but on tight curves, at least to my eye, they look like a mistake.

Although PMC has tried to up their game alittle, they are still known for lack of quality control then putting out top end buildings. But, they are very successful in what they do, and CC would be worse off without them.
Wow - I wouldn't have guessed the cost differential would be of that magnitude. One thing that can help with this cost issue is that there are a finite number of panels that would be curved. It is such an extreme curve in the edges that 80%+ of the overall building's window panels would actually still be flat.

But I agree - this work site is ripping with action, so we should find out soon.