View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:52 PM

^I cycle, drive a car, and take transit in equal measure. Before dumping unnecessarily on cyclists, you should try every mode of transportation and learn to understand and respect the reality on the street. I have seen plenty of bad behavior to go around by everyone. I can't tell you how many times pedestrians jaywalk right in front of me when I'm on my bike causing me to dangerously swerve out of the way. Perhaps jaywalker should be ticketed vigorously? I have been cut off and run off the road by clueless drivers who don't pay attention or don't care. Sure, cyclists don't always follow the rules, but don't delude yourself into thinking drivers are beyond reproach. Plenty of drivers -- most really -- don't come to a full and complete stop (like you are supposed to under the Highway Traffic Act). Should these cars be vigorously ticketed for all minor driving infractions? And because of poor or non-existent cycling infrastructure, there are spots where it is impossible not to run afoul of the rules. For example, the Assiniboine biking lane deadends at Main by the CPR stations. There is nothing except a sidewalk to connect that path to the Forks. Another example: there is no clear way to connect to/from the bikelane on Spence St by UWinnipeg and Portage Ave without somehow running afoul of the rules. These situations are not created by cyclists, but cyclists must navigate them and try to survive on the roads. We all need to learn to share the road and respect everyone because we all have a right to be there and to be safe.