View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:02 PM

Thanks, timbad...Seems weird without that hulking warehouse there.

My understanding of the Fourth Street situation through the hospital site is that UCSF and many of the neighbors would like to see it closed to auto traffic, leaving two cul-de-sac drops offs coming in from the north and south. It would remain open to pedestrians and cyclists, however. When the second phase of the hospital is built, plans call for a bridge across that closed section of Fourth Street on the second and third levels, remaining open on the first level for pedestrian and cyclist traffic.

The catch is that the closure of Fourth requires all sorts of political maneuvering due to the redevelopment plans already assumed for traffic flow. To that end, I believe that UCSF is proceeding as if Fourth Street will be open to auto traffic, but is working with the various city agencies to see if it can be closed, and if so, what other steps would be required. For example, there has been talk of adding another lane to the plans for Owens between 16th and Mariposa to compensate for the loss of Fourth for auto traffic. The feasibility of that of course has to be considered as well. I don't believe that a final decision has been made yet.

The Third Street entry plaza was added several years ago during the community input phase. It's near the Mariposa end, although a bit north of the intersection to break up the massing. It'll be the primary entry point for people coming in on the T-Third and should have some outdoor cafe seating. The energy center and display wall will be further north towards 16th.