View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 1:21 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
It isnt that I am trying to be negative. It is just the reality of how ICE buys small companies. They are ultimately looking to gain dominance in a variety of markets by taking the smaller companies, buying them and then basically owning the liquidity in some specific markets to boost the other markets on their screen. They bought the WCE for their Canadian canola futures market so that they can use the Canadian liquidity and trading to create more spreads, swaps and other financial trades. Being on ICE will probably boost the canola futures market liquidity in Canada but I don't see how that will bring more business to Winnipeg.

This has nothing to do with a Calgary vs Winnipeg thread. I just merely question where all of the hopes and dreams that ICE will bring more business to Winnipeg come from. Look at ICEs history. They have bought other companies and they are ultimately interested in building THEIR business not boosting other cities.

If you have something that shows how more business will come to Winnipeg as a result of this aquisition I would love to hear it. Right now I am just hearing people think that because a big company buys a small local company that somehow magically there will be offices and companies calling Winnipeg home. I personally dont see it.
If you read the story in the Globe in Mail last saturday you'd read that ICE plans to expand WCE operations and offer a wider array of derivitives and futures on various commodities. If that statement hold true than Winnipeg will see more trading desks set up shop. It will also mean a larger clearing operation, as contract deals increase.

Until it happens, all I can say is time will tell how this turns out.

Last edited by newflyer; Jun 28, 2007 at 3:35 AM.