View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know nobody likes that tower, but I dunno... I see it as a good density builder. For instance, Hong Kong has a spectacular skyline but really once you get away from the harbour where the showpiece office towers are, there are very few beauties and a lot of unremarkable vertical people-warehouses. You don't get the density and vitality without those types of buildings.

And anything that fills in one of the biggest gaping holes in the downtown streetscape with a tower has to have some merit. Not to mention the fact that the on-site parking will hopefully reduce demand for the surface parking nearby and maybe prod some development there.

Even then, while it's not beautiful, it isn't hideous either. There are much uglier towers in the skyline than this one. On the whole when you consider its appearance and the density it would bring, it will be a net positive. Not a huge positive, but a net positive nonetheless. I hope it gets built.
Without the top hat, which has apparently been removed or trimmed vastly, plus a prettied up parkade it is not too bad.
We have way uglier hi-rises.. The Radisson, former Place Louis Riel, Holiday Towers + man others so this is actually somewhat better. I think we should all be patient and wait to see the new renderings before we judge too harshly. There are not too many large projects announced after True North is completed. This will add many people to the social fabric of our city centre.
I also prefer main floor retail on all new builds...but if not.. there exists plenty of empty fronts on Portage avenue that will anxiously be able to cater to the new residents here & 300 main etc..
This is a huge deal for downtown & the city's skyline and overall image Again, I think we can not expect something more grand without it being beyond unaffordable & not relatable to our market.
There is not much action downtown right now so perhaps we need to celebrate this, especially since they altered the design.

Last edited by BAKGUY; May 25, 2022 at 4:46 PM.