View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

Boy I'm gonna sound like such an ingrate . . . but I'm honestly sick of this design template. The sort of alternating pinstripe/exterior balcony patchwork that makes up the majority of the building itself. It's just so overdone at this point. Give me more 5C's please.

Aside from that, though . . . it's great to see a building straddle the grid (and its alley) the way this one is doing. It's definitely going to be prominent from I35 -- but will have a lot to interact with of similar height if everything in the Rainey pipeline gets built, which (pandemic notwithstanding) still seems very possible.

In re: new hotel rooms . . . Austin was one of the hottest markets in the country before COVID came along. I don't think the pandemic is going to seriously alter that dynamic in the long run. There's going to be a year, year and a half of transition, but I think we'll eventually (and quicker than we might expect) find ourselves back in what passes for Austin-normal -- high demand, and some of the highest rates in Texas.

I think we'll see a brief pause on new projects, but I wouldn't be surprised to see literally everything we're aware of continue through development to completion. Much like commercial building, Austin's one of the best bets in the country for hotels.