View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 3:36 PM

Twister, I believe LouisVanDerWright is probably referring to the metro population, which is the 2nd fastest-growing on a percentage basis in the midwest, only after Sioux Falls. The city itself has been slower to grow than the suburbs for sure, largely due to the perception/reality of the Des Moines school district in comparison with the suburban communities that offer top-notch public education. However, without question, this is a small metro that's on an ascent to the next level in the coming decades. The small growing metro of Ames, which is about 30 miles north of DSM, is also becoming more intertwined and adds another 100k in population to the mix in the region.

2000 MSA Population: 481,394
2010 MSA Population: 606,475
2020 MSA Population: 709,466, +16.98%

2020 CSA Population w/Ames: 890,322

This swath of the country, more specifically the cities of Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, Omaha, DSM and KC are all seeing really good population growth that is rather uncharacteristic of much of the rest of the Midwest further east, with few exceptions like Madison, Indy, Columbus.

LouisVanDerWright, if you're looking to invest in a development project or build within the City of DSM, send me a PM. Through my day job, I may be able to assist you.

Des Moines' development discussion forum, project updates, and photo gallery page.