View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I notice that you seem unable to give a reply of any substance. Please explain how downtown Winnipeg is/was better from 2016 to present and in the '90s than it was between 1999 and 2016.
Even if you're not a NDP supporter, you do have to concede that downtown Winnipeg has generally fared better under their watch.

Downtown was deadsville for an entire decade until pretty well around 1999 (it helped that Glen Murray had just become mayor... he and Doer were an effective tag team of downtown revitalization). 2016 was about the time that addictions and social problems began getting more prominent again. Then of course 2020 happened and the bottom fell out, but in fairness downtown would have suffered regardless of who was in power.

It's damn hard to think of any major downtown improvements that occurred during the entirety of the Filmon years (88-99) or during the Pallister/Stefanson reign since 2016. I guess True North Square and 300 Main in the case of the latter, but was there any provincial involvement with those two? I suppose there is also The Bay, which might be an acceptable consolation prize. So I'll have to give them credit there.