View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 8:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Just why couldn't the bank raise the mortgage if they wanted to make more money?
because the mortgage agreement you make with the lender is like a contract.

they agree to loan you X amount of money and you agree to pay them back as scheduled in the mortgage agreement.

once it's agreed to and signed by both parties, then that's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Buying property scares me to death, your tying up hundreds of thousands in a fixed asset, that's hard to buy and sell. And the taxes can go up at anytime. And the maintenance costs are an unknown.
buying a home for yourself really only makes sense if you plan to be there a while. and the main advantage in my eyes isn't the mortgage interest tax write-off, or the fixed payment schedule, or the equity built through appreciation, or anything else. it's the knowledge that i control my own housing destiny. as long as i hold up my end of the bargain with the mortgage and tax payments, then no one can tell me that i can't live in my home. once you have children to raise, that kind of foundational stability becomes a really nice "peace of mind" thing.