View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 8:21 PM

Interesting article:

Quote:
But outside the fence is that other Victoria: rumbling traffic, sirens, can't-hear-yourself-think construction noise from the 12-storey Aria building going up next door. Cardboard tucked against the back wall of the clubhouse shows where the homeless sleep at night. Syringe wrappers and an empty 40-pounder of Olde English 800 malt liquor litter adjoining Cridge Park. New highrises proliferate like zucchini. Increasingly, the club looks out of place.
I agree it would be a shame to lose these lawn bowling greens. The fact that this particular club is "out of place" is what makes it special. Not sure I get the zucchini simile.

I seem to recall we were reflecting one time on the shortsightedness that led to the destruction (or bland remodelling) of so many fine historic buildings in Victoria, and somebody (maybe Holden) asked if we might still be destroying things today that we'll regret later. So how about these lawn bowling greens?

I've never played the game but I've also never been 60 years old. I suppose when we're 60 we'll just be watching TV all day?