View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I'm currently in Mexico City and even this city is significantly cleaner than Los Angeles. There's actually lots LA can learn from CDMX in terms of building a dense, walkable environment. Lesson one would not be widening streets to make way for dense development or a new metro station. However, it's a misnomer to assume that street vending contributes to a dirtier urban environment. Street vending can be a valuable source of pedestrian activity, and contributes to a livelier, more urban city. We need to cultivate and promote street vending, not diminish it!
I wasn’t suggesting that, maybe I should elaborate! What I am suggesting, is that when street vending is UNREGULATED it can become a problem. Have you driven past Alvarado lately? Is out of control in some areas. I use to work near the fashion district as well, and many street venders would leave mounds of trash on the street after working during the day, so much that rats would literally be jumping around from pile of trash to pile of trash. Now the fashion district has workers which come everyday after the shops close to clean up the mess. I would feel bad for them (that’s how bad it was seriously) When I ask should it be regulated, I’m saying that there should be fines for anyone who liters to that amount, and Street venders should not be exempt from that. Also like they are doing in Santa Monica now, unlicensed street venders should be shut down! They can pose a risk to public safety. Im all for the life that street venders bring to the street, but I’m sorry, in a society there has to be regulation. In Los Angeles so many things have gotten super lax, and you see where that is getting us.