View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:46 PM
arf

ifeeldope9779

ifeeldope9779

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?

Currently Im shooting with a Nikon D90. I pair this with a Sigma 15-30 f3.5-5, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and a 50mm f1.8. The D7000 looks like the perfect upgrade especially cause Im trying to get into video, but at the moment Im looking to go mirrorless, so either a Luminex or one of the Sony NEX's. After I pick up one of these Im trying to go back to film and grab me a Hasselblad.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

I really cant think of a proper way to describe my style. What I usually shoot is urban so I guess you can say that's my style, but really I just see things and try to make them look badass. Normally Im shooting street level, skyline, and attempted people shots. Im always trying to expand my horizon though.

I know you said one but I believe these three sum it up best.(and an early preview of Detroit)
Street Level:

Skyline:

Portrait:

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

There are sooo many, but four specifically come to mind.

1. First and for most its the other photographers on SSP. I had always loved cities and photography so when I landed on this site it was bliss (by way of a google image search that brought up a sabotai pic).

2.My father was another big one. Growing up he would show me pics and tell me stories of his upbringing in NYC during the 70's(think The Warriors ). I seek out anything that can match up to his description, this being the reason why there is a good amount of grit in my threads. I eventually want to post a thread of his urban pics.

3. My metro/state. I live in Jersey, which means that I have NYC and Philly at my convenience let alone the satellite cities that come with them. Not only that but, NJ itself is varied in terms of landscape and weather that it makes it the perfect place to hone my skills. A lot of people like shit on my state but its truly an amazing place to be. Im honored to be among the ranks of Thundertubs(thanks for recommendation!) and Nexis4Jersey in rep'n NJ. I also grew up part of my life in Queens so that too got me on the cities kick, especially when I moved out to the garden state.

4. Music. Nothing compares to stepping off that train with your headphones on, playing a song that you downloaded that day on repeat and loud, camera in hand and ready to explore. Pure bliss. Id take that over a beach vacation any day.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?

Choices choices. If I had time and a surplus of cash I would go to these cities(in no particular order)

The Philippines(Leyte, Cebu, Manila) Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Upper Peninsula Michigan, Seattle, Melbourne, Singapore, Tokyo, Barcelona, Copenhagen, the rest of Scandinavia, Paris, Prague, Buenos Aires, the middle of the desert.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

My second Jersey City thread did the best, but I think that was partly due to me asking a question pertaining to JC being the 6th borough. Some people got so bent out of shape over that question

Other than that my Newark threads did well too.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

I really liked my New Brunswick threads. They had some of my favorite pictures and were a representation of the area I live around. Unfortunately they didnt fare as well as I would have liked. Its cool though, its not the most popular city so I can understand why they didn't sell.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

When I started shooting I used film. This really aloud me to get a feel for all of the components of the camera, which made it easier to jump over to digital. I think any aspiring photographer should at least dabble with film. I still go back to it to test my manual skills. Also continue exploring. The more you explore, the more you learn, the better you perceive urban environments, the more creative your shots come out. Thats how I look at it.

Who should we ask these questions of next?

Nineties Flava. This guy really knows how to explore his city. I think everyone can take a note from his book on how to represent a city properly.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; Jan 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM. Reason: add a title