View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
I personally love the Burberry. It's funky and cool. The one thing on the Mag Mile that should come down is Water Tower Place's garage
Burberry is the epitome of kitsch. I'm not sure if they're in on the joke (or if that matters), but it definitely makes an impression. I find it too irreverent to be able to appreciate any of its playfulness; since they went the 'expressive' route, I wish they would have gone the route of structural expression (if even winkingly overwrought) to throw even the smallest bone to the location.

All of the brands under the mega-corporate umbrellas have devolved into self-parody. There is no value in any of them, in my opinion, other than identity representation. And the last of the good American heritage brands have been sucked up into the private equity vortex, the money from their storied quality (if incidental to their place in history when established) redistributed into au courant marketing campaigns.

The Starbucks, though, I like (in theory -- I haven't been yet). Makes use of the large space to provide something whimsical and welcoming that (hopefully) isn't too self-serious. Could be a modern day corporate analog to the Morgan Library or some such thing.