View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 4:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
The people in Buffalo seem to be a bit nicer/welcoming than Rochester. Maybe it's the "no airs" (no illusions of grandeur) blue collar mentality vs. Rochester historically being more white collar (Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb were all based here, and one can't forget Wegmans!).

That isn't to say Rochesterians aren't friendly.
But Buffalonians are some of the nicest Americans around so

I like Rochester, they have pretty residential streets with nice landscaping, parks, the Genesee river falls right in the heart of the city, but Buffalo has a bit larger of a city feel and downtown/urban core doesn't feel separated (disjointed?) like Rochester.

Buffalo has a larger feel since the population topped out in 1950 at 580k people in a tiny 39 sq miles, and the Metro pop. peaked early in 1970. Also Buffalo has a (c. 1985) light rail line that functions like a subway, and of course major league sports.

Visit them both and see what you think
I didn't realize Rochester had Xerox and Bausch & Lomb as well. I imagine in the 1950s upstate NY looked and felt like a very prosperous region. 1960-2020 haven't been kind but I doubt it will stay like that forever. The rapid growth of the Quebec City - Windsor corridor (22 million people, forecast to hit 30 million in 20 years) should eventually benefit upstate NY but it hasn't happened yet. You're sitting smack dab between 2 highly populated and highly developed corridors.

If one visits Buffalo and Rochester do you need a car? I'd likely drive there.