View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This thread is very interesting. I am fascinated by the photos and lore of the Luna Park of old.
With just over a couple of months until the new Luna Park opens, I would like to see some weekly updates of how the put it all together, what exactly their layout will be. I know that the added coasters won't be open until next year. But the Cyclone will join its new neighbor for business this season..

http://www.nypost.com/p/cyclone_set_...u5kCx0etyc3dkK

Cyclone set to roll again, but operator says Astroland return 'unlikely'

March 17, 2010
By RICH CALDER

Quote:
Carol Albert says she expects the landmark Cyclone roller coaster to make a big comeback this summer with the anticipated opening of the new Luna Park next door.

...The Cyclone is set to roll in the 2010 season March 28 during a gala event highlighted by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz cracking a bottle of egg cream on the 83-year-old ride.

...“With the arrival of the new Luna Park, this truly will be one of the most exciting summers in Coney in a long time,” said Albert, whose family has been operating the roller coaster since 1975 through a lease with the city.

The Cyclone has been a city landmark since 1988 and is one of only 17 roller coasters in the world that the American Coaster Enthusiasts have designated as an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark,” an award reserved for rides of historical significance.

“I can’t wait for opening day and the first ride on the Cyclone! It’s become a tradition I look forward to all winter long,” said Angie Pontani, the reigning “Miss Cyclone.”

The burlesque performer favors the front car and always manages to emerge from the thrilling ride without a hair out of place.

After opening day, the Cyclone is open daily from March 29 to April 6 and from May 14 through Labor Day.

The Cyclone is open weekends only from April 7 to May 13, and after Labor Day through the end of September. Ticket prices are $8 for the first ride and $5 for additional rides. Hours are noon till closing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.